History of the Victoria Hall – Lampeter

History of the Victoria Hall - Lampeter

Below is a brief history of the Queen Victoria, Memorial Hall.

The ‘Queen Victoria Memorial Hall’ was opened on Wednesday, 23rd. August 1905, by the Mayor, Ald. Joseph Davies, following a civic procession from the Town Hall at 1.00 pm.  

The ceremony was followed by a ‘Competitive Concert’ (Eisteddfod), starting at 2.00 pm in the afternoon, and 6.00 pm in the evening. 

The idea of Assembly Rooms for the town had been floating about for several years and the basis of a building fund was the profit from a successful Eisteddfod held in Lampeter in 1894.  

He took an active part in various schemes for the improvement of the town. The best service he probably ever did to Lampeter, was to acquire the freehold of the glebe land known as the Bryn.

When Mr David Lloyd, solicitor, offered the site for building fund-raising began in earnest.  Unfortunately, David Lloyd died in 1901 and never saw the hall completed.  

The idea of Assembly Rooms for the town had been floating about for several years and the basis of a building fund was the profit from a successful Eisteddfod held in Lampeter in 1894.  

He took an active part in various schemes for the improvement of the town. The best service he probably ever did to Lampeter, was to acquire the freehold of the glebe land known as the Bryn.

When Mr David Lloyd, solicitor, offered the site for building fund-raising began in earnest.  Unfortunately, David Lloyd died in 1901 and never saw the hall completed.  

X